26th Birthday at San Lorenzo Ruiz Home for the Elderly

Early this year my grandmother joined our creator in Heaven. When she had her last breath, I was miles apart. She was in General Santos. I was in Manila. Despite that, I  know how blessed  she was. On the other side of the  archipelago, we think of her every single day praying for her pain to go away. Until the end she had her loved ones around.

On my 2nd year celebrating my birthday giving back, she was my inspiration.

In my search for a home for the aged around Metro Manila, I came across San Lorenzo Ruiz Home for the Elderly of the Little Sisters of the Poor in Pasay and the website introduced Sister Rosario.

san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 1
Hello!
Preparation: A Challenge

During the preparation stage, I realized the challenge of staging a party for the Elderly. First challenge was the type of games they play. Would they want the bingo types? Next was the kind of food they eat as I'm sure they have restrictions already. Found out that it's chicken and fish. Good thing I never planned for a Jollibee party. Then there's the loot bags, I had in mind comb, face towels, socks, rosary, biscuits or duster. But then I haven't asked Sister what they really need.

So I decided I should go there for an ocular visit. It was a blessing. I got to ask what they really needed. Turned out that what I had in mind weren't necessary but instead, single-sized bed sheets and pillow case were much essential.

After buying those, packed it individually in a tote and added breads and tetra packed juice. For games prizes, bought assorted soft breads in the market.

Here was my simple invite I again made from PicCollage stickers:

PicCollage invite
Simple invite
A Day with Lolos and Lolas

There were 44 eldery in San Lorenzo Ruiz Home for the Elderly. If I'm not mistaken, 36 of them were lolas and 8 lolos. The Home for the Aged was huge and we proceeded with our program in their auditorium.

san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 2
Their auditorium
san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 3
My lovely hosts again with lolo singing :)
We played talent portion where lolas and lolos can either dance or sing. Most of them sang their heartfelt rendition of mass songs. We also had the longest Happy Birthday again the winner Lola reached around 22 seconds. Lastly, we danced to the tune of cha-cha. Some of them can really groove it. It was a touching sight.

san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 4
Go lola!
san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 5
Wow, singing lola even on wheelchair!
san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 6
Longeeeeeeest Happy Birthday!
san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 7
Lolo making chika first :)
san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 8
You can do it, lola!
san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 9
Cha cha time!
And of course, the best part was eating time. We originally planned to serve them soft breads but also brought home-cooked special spaghetti and fried chicken for my friends. And they want it, too! So it was shared by everyone.

san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 10
Before blowing the cake!
san lorenzo ruiz home for the elderly little sisters of the poor pasay 12
Fun with family and friends!
I just wished we stayed longer so that we can talk to them at length. But at around 5pm, it was their prayer time already so we were left downstairs. Nevertheless, it was a fruitful, touching and memorable day. I hope that we've made them happy even just for a few hours.

Pay It Forward

Again, I wrote this down because years from now, I want to remember how this day made me happy. Furthermore, it's hard to find a home for the aged nearby so hope this article will help the right people.
If you need to contact them, see the footer below. Meanwhile, let me end with this beautiful quotation I just saw around the worldwide web: "When God blesses you financially, don't raise your standard of living. Raise your standard of giving."

                           


San Lorenzo Ruiz Home for the Elderly
of the Little Sisters of the Poor is located at:
50-B Lancaster St.,  (along FB Harrison St.)
Pasay City, Manila

Contact Sister Rosario or Sister Cecilia at:
Cellphone number: 0939 375 1362
Telephone no.: (02)8329689

0 comments: